Friday, November 2, 2012

LOW FAT STOVE TOP HOT CHOCOLATE GRAVY

A.  Stove Top Hot Chocolate Gravy cold, frosted this cake just fine.
 Compared to your typical store bought frosting, this stove top Hot Chocolate Gravy which can be served hot or cold is tasty, fluffy, and low in fat.  It also calls for a lot less sugar.  It is not only easy to make, but easy on the pocket book too.

I had guests coming for dinner today, and I decided to bake a cake for dessert. All I had was a box of yellow cake mix and nothing to top it. I was thinking of chocolate.  I'd add cocoa to the cake mix no problem.  However, I thought of the idea of biscuits and gravy and how that goes well together. Why not make a sweet gravy sauce and add chocolate cocoa, a healthy oil, and sugar.  I had to work fast as my  guests were so ready for dessert. The results were amazingly delicious. I just had to share.

Before I continue I do have to say this was so good that we could not wait and voted to served it hot over a slice of cake. It was a very good idea, as we all enjoyed every bite of it.  However, once cooled, the left over gravy still held its shape and I was able to actually frost the other piece of cake.  Nice to know it can be served hot or cold.  I believe it can be used to actually put in a cake decorating bag and piped on a cake.  For more detailed piping you might add more coconut oil or butter, or bakers merengue, chill well before piping. This can be done, and will be done, just not today. This is what I had and how I did it.

Ingredients:
1.   On a stove with a low flame, in a
small saucepan, toast flour till it has
a caramel color.  
  • Flour 4 tablespoons
  • Milk or water 1 1/4 cup (I used water with coconut powder.  You can even use water with non dairy creamer)
  • Butter 1/2 cup (I use 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup butter.  You can use margarine or crisco if that's all you have)
  • Sugar 1/2 cup (I used brown sugar)
  • Cocoa powder 2 tablespoons
  • Vanilla 1 teaspoon
  • Salt 1/4 teaspoon






Instructions:
Please see photo tutorial:)

2.  Add 1/2 cup of milk or liquid slowly stirring
constantly to avoid lumps.  Just like making
a white gravy sauce.  Add the rest of milk slowly,
 then the oil, salt,and vanilla.  Continue
stirring on a low flame.  Bring it to a low
rolling boil
3.  Once it is at a low slow boil, add cocoa,
stirring constantly.
4.  I cooked this on a low boil stirring constantly
to avoid burning for about 5 minutes.  This gave
the brown sugar a nice caramel taste.  Yum.
Chocolate and Caramel marries well together:)
At this point it is done and ready to use as
a Hot Chocolate Gravy. See Pic B. shown below.  Or...
5.  This made about 1 1/2 cups of  Low Fat Hot Chocolate Gravy.
 I had about one cup leftover after I topped my cake.  I put in the
 refrigerator and lowand behold, once cooled, It looked more like a
real frosting in this picture. This is because the butter and coconut
oil hardened.  Note, being that is was cold, I did notice some oil separation.  No problem.
I re-whipped it till it was fluffy and topped my cake in pic A. shown above.
B.  Here  I served it as a Hot Chocolate Gravy over my chocolate cake.
Well, I really hope you like my simple Low Fat Stove Top Hot Chocolate Gravy recipe.  Hopefully, enough to come back and visit my other recipes.  Please feel free to share it with others.  So till then...Goodnight, and Many Blessings:)

Sincerely,
Mary Helen





1 comment:

Maria Vasquez said...

I just had to comment about the top picture marked "A". I put this cake in the refrigerator till chilled. I then topped it with plastic wrap and continue to store it in the refrigerator for a few more days. Once I removed the wrap. The cake came out with no signs of compression from the wrap. I poked it with my fingers and it was hard like hard chocolate. It held its original frosted shape very nice when chilled. What a tasty treat:)