Thursday, August 30, 2012

CHUNKY TOMATO /JALAPENO PRESERVES


Sweet & Spicy Chunky Tomato & Jalapeno Preserves

I've been in the mood for some sweet and SPICY CHUNKY TOMATO AND JALAPENO  PRESERVES.  It's been a while since I have made it.  It reminds me of  my old cherry tomato patch back at my old home.  I sure miss the home grown taste of fresh tomatoes. I used to make gift baskets and always had a jar of this in there.  You cannot find these preserves in your local markets. You would have to pay a pretty price for just a few ounces of this at a specialty store.   Here it cost me $3.00  for 28 ounces of my preserves.  Right now I'm thinking of a grilled cheese sandwich with a smear of this inside, or with cheese and crackers.  You can always multiply this recipe and can this for shelf storage using your favorite canning method and store this in your pantry or food storage.
Okay, ready?  Lets do it.

Ingredients:

  • Tomatoes 16 oz of cooked and peeled
  • Jalapenos diced and seeded  Use according to taste. (I used  1/3 pound and threw in some seeds.  Hot! HOT! HOT!
  • Red onion  1 medium diced
  • Garlic 2 large cloves minced
  • Sugar 2 cups.  (I used brown sugar, and yes it's a lot but that's why I make it hot to use less.  Lol)
  • Lemon juice 1/2 cup
  • Salt 1/2 tablespoon
  • Pepper 1 teaspoon

1.  Here I mashed  whole cooked
tomatoes by hand  leaving me with
chunky tomato pieces.  Perfect.
.
2.  Put all the ingredients in a
non aluminum pot and simmer on low.
Stirring occasionally, scraping the bottom,
making sure not to let it burn.





 3.  This has been reduced by  about 2/3.
You can now see the tomatoes
have a translucent look like candy
and looks ready to eat








4.  Voila!!   Homemade Chunky Tomato & Jalapeno Preserves!!
Store this in the refrigerator, or you can can this for shelf storage.
See?  So easy to make, it just took a few ingredients, low heat, time, and love.  Nothing artificial here.  Just a bunch of tomatoes full of lycopene and vitamin C.  You get the Selenium in the jalapenos and onions.   Then there's the natural antibiotics with the garlic.  Yes, it's processed but you do get concentrated benefits of most of the nutrition here.  Best of all, it tastes good, and is a delightful alternative to other jams, jellies, and preserves. I hope you like this recipe as well.  Simple, cheap and delicious.  It makes great gifts especially for the holidays in a gift basket with  cheese and crackers.

Please feel free to share this blog as this is what I love to do...share.  After all, when you are in service of others, your in service with our almighty Heavenly Father.  I thank the Lord for all my many blessings.

Thank you  for visiting my blog and for allowing me to be of service.
Many blessings to all,

Mary Helen

No comments: