Wednesday, April 18, 2012

OAT MILK, A NON DAIRY DRINK

Good morning friends. Nope, that's not cows milk although it looks like it. Sometimes I feel silly blogging this because it is so easy.  But someone got to show you just how easy it is, right?  I ran out of cows milk, thanks to my son.  Actually I did buy it for him and  to feed my milk kifer grains.  But that's another blog.  This is a cheap, yet healthy alternative to dairy milks, as well as other non dairy milks.  It's good to use a variety of milks like soy, almond, or rice because each one has it's own nutritional value. If we stick to just one milk, we deprive our body of other nutrition.  And in my opinion, we need all the nutrition we can get.  So here goes my way of making oat milk.
  • 2 cups of presoaked whole grain rolled oats. (no need to soak if using instant oats)
  • 6-8 cups of water (according to taste and thickness)
  • pinch of salt






Optional ingredients Note:
I added this because dairy milk has Calcium and Vitamin D. So, it is a good way to use those vitamins the doctor gave me last year.  Haha.   I added the fat because, hey dairy milk is loaded with fat, and its good.  But coconut fat is another healthy alternative since oatmeal has zero fat.  And now I could use the extra nutrition. and feel satiated too:))

  • 2 tsp brown sugar (optional, you can use any sweetener)
  • 6 Calcium with Vitamin D tablets (optional)
  • 2 tbsp. Coconut Cream (optional, I used powdered, because it's easy to store and keep on hand)
  • 2 tsp Vanilla (optional)
Add the oats in the blender using just two cups of water to start.  Blend well before adding the additional water.  Strain with a cheese cloth, or strainer. NOTE:  If adding vitamins, add after straining. May be served hot or cold.

There are countless was to serve this nutritios non dairy milk.  You can use it plain as is, or spice with cinnamon. Try adding almonds or raisins for a treat. It's great over cereal too.  Whatever suits your fancy. Just try it, you might like it.

As for me, one mission accomplished today....I'm going to attempt to make yogurt out of my oatmeal milk soon.  I will post the results later once I complete that mission successfully.

I hope this was helpful to you...wishing you all many blessings.
Mary Helen

No comments: