Wednesday, April 25, 2012

CURRIED SPINACH BREAD PUDDING

Good afternoon, my son came over this morning hungry as usual.  I was getting ready to leave so I didn't have anything planned.  I searched my pantry and came up with a can of spinach, eggs, and bread.  I thought hmm, I had less than an hour before my ride arrived.  So let's get busy.

  • Preheat oven to 350
  • 4  eggs beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (yogurt, buttermilk or coconut milk etc. I used kifer milk because I make it and readily had it) 
  • 1/2    cup onion diced (green, white, yellow, it doesn't matter)
  • 2   cups day old bread cubed 1 inch
  • 1   tbsp curry powder (this is optional but then I would have to change the name above)
  • 1   clove garlic minced
  • 1    cup cheese grated (I used yellow, but white would be great)
  • 1     tsp salt
  • 1/4  cup oil  (I used extra virgin coconut oil or butter)
Beat all ingredients well before adding bread cubes, reserving some cheese for the top.  Let sit for about 5 minutes for the bread to absorb the egg mixture.   Bake in casserole dish for 35-45 minutes.

This tastes similar to Spinach Quiche with curry flavor.    And all it was was some stale bread that no one wanted to eat, some eggs and a can of spinach, with cheese.  Who knew it would taste so good.   Yet feed a family of 6 for so little.  It yielded two of these bread dishes.  My son took the other one home.  It has veggies, protein, and carbs.  It's tasty and filling.  What more can one ask for.  Have fun in your kitchen.  Explore

Peace, and many blessings.
Mary Helen



1 comment:

Maria Vasquez said...

Hahaha, I just noticed that spinach is not listed as an ingredient. You can use one or two bunches of fresh spinach. Or one box frozen spinach defrosted and drained. You can also use one can of drained spinach as well.