Monday, October 3, 2011

Raw Almond Milk

Fresh almond milk strained with the pulp on the right.
I like a variety of non dairy milks and fresh almond milk is one of them.  It is rich in calcium, potassium and has protein's building blocks, amino acids. The oils in almonds is also very healing to our bodies inside as well as the outside.  It makes a great alternative to dairy milk.  Besides, it tastes good. 

My almonds soaking
for 8 hours.
Making it at home is so easy and so much more affordable that the one that is in a carton at your local market.   It can run up to $2.99 a quart  where homemade can cost about .50 cents a quart.  Quite a difference in savings.  Not only that, you know how fresh it is and the knowledge that there are no additives, unless you put them there.


Almond puree. 

It only takes a small amount of raw almonds to make a  glass of milk.  Here is a quick recipe that is so easy to make. Here is how I do it...

Ingredients:
  • Raw almonds 1/2 cup
  • Water 1 quart plus 1 cup for soaking
Here I am straining the
almond pulp in the nylon
 coffee filter.
Note if you like it sweet you can add sweetener and or vanilla to suit your taste. My son loves slightly sweetened almond milk.


Instructions:


  • Soak the almonds in one cup water for 6-8 hours.  
  • Drain and blend with 1 cup of water on high speed, adding the rest of the quart of water slowly.  
  • This almond milk was made in the Vita-Mix
    and has the pulp in it. You can see the
    brownish color.
  • Separate the pulp from the milk by straining this through a cheesecloth. I used a nylon coffee filter in a strainer. See how easy it is? 
I like to make oatmeal cookies using the almond pulp and some of the milk. Remember, the pulp has the fiber, and still has a lot of nutrition, and remember my motto...Waste not, want not.  Anyway, store the milk in the refrigerator and enjoy within a few days.


By the way, it's not only great alone, it's also great in smoothies as well as cereals. Let me say, almond rice pudding is wonderfully delicious. How about homemade sweet almond bread?  Yum.  I've also made almond kifer milk which is also another way to boost the nutrition.  Hmm... So what is your favorite way to use almond milk, or the pulp?

Many  blessings,
Mary Helen

1 comment:

Maria Vasquez said...

Yup that"s right for me this handful out do do the job. You can add more or less. More if you want to make a meal like a protein shake, or less like me if you want to drink it like water throughout the day. Blend, and strain.
ps. I always save the almond mash for breads, cookies. etc...Remember my motto "Waste Not Want Not